Super Visa

Being away from our loved ones can be difficult, but it doesn’t have to be. The Canadian government understands that family is important and has created options to bring families together.

One of the most popular programs among families is the Super Visa program for parents and grandparents.

What is the Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents?

The Super Visa allows eligible parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to visit their family in Canada for up to two years without having to renew their status. This visa allows them to enter Canada multiple times for up to 10 years.

The Super Visa is a popular option because it is available year-round and has lower income requirements than the Canadian Parents and Grandparents program.

The Super Visa is ideal for parents and grandparents who live in countries that require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) better known as a tourist visa. By obtaining the super visa, they will be able to travel freely between Canada and their country of residence without the worry and hassle of regularly re-applying for a TRV.

They can also apply using the same application process. However, instead of being issued a visa, they will be given an official letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC, for their children) authorizing their visit for up to two years upon initial entry. 

Who can apply for the Super Visa?

Parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to apply for the Super Visa. Applicants may not be inadmissible to enter Canada on the basis of health or safety, and may be required to meet specific conditions set by the visa office through which they will apply.

It is important to note that dependents cannot be included in this application. Only parents or grandparents, along with their spouses or common-law partners, can be included in a Super Visa application. 

What is the Super Visa application process?

The application process is similar to that of a normal TRV. However, additional documentation is required to ensure that parents and grandparents will be well supported during their time in Canada. This requirement includes:

  1. A letter of invitation from the child or grandchild residing in Canada;
  2. Documents proving that the child or grandchild meets the minimum low-income cutoff (LICO);
  3. Proof of parental relationship with the child or grandchild, such as a birth certificate naming him / her as the father.
  4. Proof of health insurance coverage for at least one year with a Canadian insurance company.