Frequent Questions


1. Does my choice of program affect the possibility of approval?
study permit applications are sometimes rejected if the visa officer does not understand the logic of your choice of program. Therefore, the selected program must align with your work experience and/or education. If not, a logical explanation must be provided showing that the selected program will improve your employment opportunities in your home country.

2. Can I bring my family with me as an international student?
Good news! Yes, you may be able to bring your spouse or common-law partner, and your dependent children, with you to Canada. They may be eligible for a study or work permit, or a visitor visa.

3. Can I work while studying in Canada?
You may be eligible to work in Canada while you study, if you are enrolled in a full-time Designated Learning Institution (DLI). Your study permit will indicate whether you are allowed to work in Canada, and the conditions of employment. If your program of study is less than six months in length, or you are enrolled in an English as a Second Language (ESL) or French as a Second Language (FSL) program, you are not eligible to work. It is important to remember that you cannot start working while you study in Canada until you start your program of study.

4. How much does it cost to study in Canada?
In 2021, Canada requires international students to show $ 10,000 CAD for self-support, $ 4,000 CAD for their spouse, and $ 3,000 CAD for each dependent plus the cost of the first year of study.

5. Are there scholarships available for international students in Canada?

Scholarships may be available to international students from private, government, or public institutions in Canada. Scholarships may be available for international students from the institution of study of choice.


1. How can I apply for a work visa?
One cannot apply for a work visa with only the desire to work in Canada. The process must be initiated by a Canadian employer seeking to hire a foreign national. In most cases, the job offer must be supported by a positive LMIA. However, there are exceptions.

2. Where can I look for a job to work in Canada?
Those interested in working in Canada can conduct their job search online through different sources such as which is the official government job search engine, as well as well known engines such as,, linkedin, etc. At Velosaimmigration we can help you once you have obtained a job offer.

3. Do I have to pay an employer for a job offer?
No. Under no circumstances should an employer charge a foreign worker for a job offer.

4. What is an open work permit and what is a closed work permit?
An open work permit is one that allows a foreign worker to work for any employer in Canada. Open work permits do not require foreign nationals to obtain a labor market impact assessment or a job offer when applying for a work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Closed work permits require a foreign worker to only work for the employer who has obtained a positive LMIA and provided a job offer. If a foreign worker is no longer going to work for this employer, she must apply to change the conditions of her work permit if she wishes to continue working legally in Canada.