Work in Canada

Canada offers great opportunities to professionals in different areas and levels of training.

In most cases, people who want to work in Canada will need a work permit. The type of work permit a person may be eligible for depends on several factors, such as: nationality, occupation, and intended work in Canada. Some of these factors can speed up the process of obtaining a work permit.

The vast majority of people looking to work in Canada require a Labor Market Assessment (LMIA). However, there are exceptions.

At Velosa Immigration Consulting Services we work together with our clients to achieve:

  • LMIA-based work permits
  • LMIA-exempt work permits


What is an LMIA?

The purpose of the LMIA is for employers to demonstrate to the Canadian government that hiring a foreign worker will not negatively impact the existing Canadian workforce. The Federal Department of Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) wants to ensure that the hiring of foreign workers will not displace existing workers in Canada or put downward pressure on their wages.

Although the LMIA process is the norm, there are many different LMIA-exempt work permits resulting from free trade agreements. These free trade agreements allow foreign workers to apply for a work permit without their employer having to obtain an LMIA. In addition to these employer-sponsored work permits, there are a number of work permit options available to foreign workers who do not yet have a job offer.

When a work permit is issued and is not tied to a single employer or occupation, it is called an open work permit. Open work permits are most often issued through the following immigration programs:

  • Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)
  • Spousal or common-law sponsorship
  • Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)
  • International Experience Canada (Working Holiday)